Salted Caramel Profiteroles
- 12 The Country Chef Vanilla Cream Filled Profiteroles
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Maldon salt crystals
- Bring the milk to the boil, add the sugar, vanilla and bicarbonate of soda. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce the heat and wash down the sides of the pan using a wet pastry brush. Simmer over medium heat for about 1 hour scooping off any froth every fifteen minutes. Stir regularly to check it is not burning on the bottom of the pan. Pour through a fine metal sieve into a bowl and allow to cool. It will thicken more on cooling.
- Spoon a small amount of caramel over each profiterole and sprinkle with Maldon salt.